Is it OK to plant Sugar Apple Tree now?

st9988December 5, 2010

I purchased a sugar apple tree from a local grocery store. The tree is about 2-3 feet tall. Is it ok to plant the tree into the ground now? A lady at the grocery store said it's not good to plant during winter. Is that true? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrew78(6)

I would think you should wait in case you have freezes. It would be much easier to move indoors if you have a freeze. That may have been what that woman was referring to.

Andrew

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 2:34PM
murahilin(10 fl)

What part of FL do you live in st9988? If you live far enough south you could wait for this cold front to pass then plant it. Wouldn't be that much of a big deal. Will probably lose all of its leaves cause of the cold but shouldn't matter much. Just don't over water or fertilize now to avoid it shooting new growth and then getting hurt bad by future cold.
You could always wait for the weather to warm up and play it safe. No real reason to plant it now anyways because it will pretty much be dormant anyways. Might as well just leave it in the pot till Spring.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 7:54PM
tropicalia

Just reading the name my mouth is watering :) I love that fruit! Congrats on your new tree.

Bookmark   December 15, 2010 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™