Safe milkweed plants near Houston

eggs3February 10, 2013

I would like to find, for the spring, some good size milkweed plants to put in my butterfly house for caterpillars to use. I know that most nurseries spray their plants, so those won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find some locally?

Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Buchanan's in the Heights. Most nurseries don't spray them, but they come to them sprayed. Buchanan's sets them aside for a couple of weeks, until the spray has dissipated. Joshua's Native Plants, also in the Heights, is another good source, and they're cheaper.

You can grow more from cuttings, too.

Houston Garden Center usually has them in 8" or 10" pots for less than other nurseries sell the 6" pots, but i don't know if they have them right now. But wherever you find them, you can keep them away from the butterflies for 2 to 3 weeks and they'll be safe.

I haven't had any monarchs for weeks snow, but they should be showing up within a month or so. Do you have some in your butterfly house?

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eggs3

I have a only couple of tiny caterpillars right now on the milkweed in my garden, so am good for now.

Hope to get 8-10 potted plants to put in the butterfly house so that I can rescue a lot of caterpillars out of my garden again this year.

Thanks for the info about sprayed plants being okay after letting them sit for a few weeks. I'll keep a watch out at Houston Garden Center and pick some up soon.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™