Any Chico Sapote People In SoCal?

kobe24December 11, 2011

I was wondering if anyone is growing Chico sapote in SoCal, and if so any success stories?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RodneyJS

I bought a 3 gal grafted Hasya sapodilla during the summer, which I repotted into a 5 gal container. It's been growing steadily. No flowers/fruits yet but I hope soon.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 11:21PM
kobe24

I have a 5 gallon chico I purchased last week, I am considering planting in the ground. Should I wait or is this alright and have heard of anyone on the forums being successful with this tree in SoCall?

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 1:33AM
Meomeo12

Yes, here in Garden Grove, SoCal. It's does grow very well. My tree is about 8-9 years old, 12ft tall, and is in the ground. It's had lots of fruit every year since I got it. It's is having fruits about a size of a cherry right now. It's tasted very sweet, aromatic and wonderful! I like it so much that I bought another one called brown sugar, which is only about 2 ft tall and 2-3 years old seedling, and going to plant it in the ground soon. The older tree I'd got, I don't know what variety it was because it only simply said chico sapote and didn't have much info. But the fruit is long, pointed, skin is a little sandy and not round or oval shape. So I think it's maybe the Thailand's variety. Just so you guys know, yes chico sapote could be grow very sucessful in orange county.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 8:10AM
ajaysr5

I have a 3 year old tree in Carson,Ca. in the ground about 4ft tall.They do very well here but is a slow grower.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:38AM
More Discussions
Hak Ip Lychee Blooming SoCal
Last year i decided to plant 3 lychee trees here in...
grox200
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Passiflora "Edgehill" or "Black Knight" wanted
According to California Rare Fruit website, Passiflora...
sapote
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™