Worm Density

mendopeteMarch 12, 2013

I started vermicomposting about 5 years back with a small bucket of bedrun worms given to me and a "pound" purchased. We have added chickens and a horse since and I expanded the worm-farm. Currently I have about 200 square feet of worm-beds going. I have often wondered how many worms I have, but the wormies will not fill out census forms!

We have had spring-like weather and the wormbeds are starting to get active. Today I scooped out an area about 12" x18" by 6" deep and filled a 5 gallon bucket with this bed-run vermicompost. This was deposited into a wheelbarrow, mounded up like a pyramid and placed in the sun. It took about 4 hours of light sorting in the sun to get down to a mass of worms in a ball. Exciting finish to a long slow process.
I measured my worm-ball as I have seen on done on videos....... 2 cups worms/lb...... and got 5 cups or 2.5 lbs. I currently estimate my herd at 300lbs, or 1.5 lbs per square foot.

Do not dig through your bin to see what's going on unless you have a problem. The worms were traumatized and quite unhappy. My learning experience was their loss, and there were definitely casualties. I have not done this before and probably never do it again. The bedding raked off the worm-ball was put into a 10 gallon cloth grow-bag. This material was well wet and, when the worms were dumped back on top, they totally disappeared down in less than a minute. They had a very bad day.

I'm thinking of selling some worms on craigslist locally. How much should I charge for 5 gallons of bedrun worms (approx.2.5lb) and vermicompost and cocoons? I am thinking $40?? It would be a great worm bin starter. What do you think.... too much $ or too little? I am hoping to buy some more hay!

Pete

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petrock1963

I would think $40.00 for 2.5 lbs would be a good buy. I just got 2lbs that was advertised on sale for 28.00 their normal price I believe was almost twice that. They shipped them priority mail in a dry peat mix that was just a shade over 2lbs according to the package. I thought it was kinda interesting because I was expecting something altogether different. When you mention 5 gallons that got me a wondering what your shipping method would be and how that would impact your deal.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 1:15PM
mendopete

No shipping will occur. I am a hohbiest and will only sell locally, come get 'em . Since I live near an isolated rural community, I probably won't sell much. There seems to be a little more interest in my castings. I got 3-4 cubic yards that need to be harvested and used. I do this by hand and its a lot of work to harvest. Last summer I sifted and sold about $600 worth. No more sifting, just dig and fluff. I am getting $2 per gallon for unsifted castings.

I got a call from a local non-profit community gardening group. They wanted some castings and worms to populate a new bin. I will go check them out and maybe donate what they need.

I also will have a new 4'x8' bin to populate at the horse arena nearby. We are members of the riders association and I am excited to expose the other members to vermicomposting. IThe bin will be lined on 3 sides with RR ties and the front will be removable fence boards.It will have 2 lids and the members can make direct deposits into the bin as needed. I guess I will see what effects occasional de-wormer will have.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 4:13PM
Niivek

$40 sounds about right. I would maybe try for $50 at first though. About a month and a half ago, I bought my first worms from a garden center for $25. They said it was about 1 pound of worms mixed in with compost. They gave me a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full. with everything it was probably about 10 pounds worth of stuff. Might have been one pound of worms or it could have been two.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™