Carrot shavings

sf170089April 10, 2008

I am just wondering if anyone else has seen this. My worms seem to ignore carrot shavings. I have had carrot shavings in my worm bin for ~ 3 weeks. It looks as if they are all still there! Since then, I have added asparagus ends, banana peals, apple cores, zucchini ends, strawberry ends, old blueberries, and others that I can not seem to remember. All have been eaten, but the carrot shavings remain.

Has anyone else seen this, or are my worms finicky?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
utahvermie(5)

As with most things in the worm business- just give it time.

Carrots are a lot like Potato peelings- they take a while to break down. I have potato peelings in my bins and they will hang around for a while and then just go soft and the worms are all over it.
I figure having them in the bin helps keep the bedding from compacting and helps keep the soil pH in good shape.

- You can also cook or microwave the carrots before adding them to the bin. It'll soften it up and allow it to decompose quicker. (Yes, yes- add only after cooling.)

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 12:34PM
newoahuwormer(11 - Hawaii)

I've fed mine "carrot pulp" from juicing carrots. I've also thrown in potato & carrot peelings and haven't noticed any
problems. . .I DO mix everything up before placing in the bin.
How are they going to SEE if they don't eat their carrots!

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 10:59AM
old_compost(9b)

newoahuwormer, you made my day.
Gonna remember that one!

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 3:56PM
susan_wormgirl(5)

Peelings from root vegetables like carrot, potato and beet take longer to decompose because they can actually continue growing in the bin. My mother ignored her bin a few winters ago and in the spring it was full of mini potatoes. Cooking root vegetables first makes them decompose faster because it kills them. You can also freeze them or chop them into fine pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wormgirlmontreal

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 8:34AM
suziqzer

I hadn't thought about that. I suppose if they were in big enough piece they might try and grow, especially if they got just a little light too.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 10:39AM
socks

Carrots do take quite a while to decompose, and I've seen old ones floating around in my bin for quite some time. But eventually Mother Nature takes over and the worms have their carrots. It's good because if you skip feeding them for a while, the carrots will be there to be eaten eventually.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™