Shrub blooming now with tiny yellow flowers

PKponder TX(7b)February 2, 2013

My neighbor has this beautiful shrub that I mistakenly thought to be forsythia. It's blooming now. She can't remember what it is but she said not forsythia. can anyone help with an ID, please? Thanks in advance!

I love her garden! I aspire to have as lovely a front garden as she does :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

My guess is Primrose Jasmine shrub. They are evergreen in San Antonio and bloom in late winter if we have rain. In a dry year they don't bloom much. It can grow to a huge fountain shape and makes a great hedge if you have the room. It's very drought tolerant. They are all up and down my street. My grandmother had them and we kids loved playing under the arching branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Primrose Jasmine shrub

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:24PM
PKponder TX(7b)

That may be it Roselee! I also followed a link in the article to another article about winter jasmine and it could be that one also! It has so few leaves while it's blooming and they are tiny leaves. The size is right, they came from a neighbor up the street who has a huge clump (15' X 5'tall) right in the corner of her lot.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 5:08PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Yes, it looks more like winter jasmine according to the photos on the internet. The article says they are closely related. The leaves in the photos of winter jasmine look just like primrose jasmine. Anybody know how to tell the difference?

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter jasmine on google ...

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 5:45PM
PKponder TX(7b)

What I understood from the articles was that the Primrose Jasmine is evergreen with 1-3 inch long leaves and the blooms are fragrant while the Winter Jasmine is deciduous and blooms on bare branches. Winter Jasmine leaves are only 1 inch long and it is not fragrant. I didn't detect fragrance at all and the branches are not leafed out yet. Otherwise, they look identical! My neighbor mentioned that the branches are squared.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the correct direction!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 10:59AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I just took this photo of the Primrose jasmine in my neighbor Georgianne's front yard ...

While I was there I took this of Georgianne and her front yard. She never waters it and it's beautiful. You can see a portion of the Primrose jasmine hedge on the far right ...

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Rain Event, SE Texas
It doesn't look like we'll be planting our veggie garden...
luvs2plant
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Is planting Leyland cypress a mistake?
I planted 2 Leyland cypress plants in my back yard...
ritholtz47
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
Sponsored Products
WIRES Tall Basket by Blomus
$17.99 | Lumens
Maran Side Table
Grandin Road
English Style Polished Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
Flower Market Dinner Plate - WHITE
$38.00 | Horchow
44" White Cherry Blossoms LED Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus