Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?

schroedpot(5b)January 18, 2014

I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try growing my melons (cantaloupes) vertically once. It's always good to have more room, and I assume the method would make my melons less prone to disease.

My question is, have any of you used concrete reinforcing wire tomato cages for this purpose? I have a lot of them, about 2' across, and it would be easy for me if the method works. I realize that you'd have to support the fruit with slings, just wondered if anyone has had success (or failure) with this method.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davwe3(9)

I grew Bush Baby Watermelons in a 2' wire tomato cage last year with good results. To my surprise, I didn't have to support the fruit, other than making sure the stems didn't get pinched. You'll need to keep to center pruned out for air circulation, so a less vigorous melon will be less work...

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 6:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schroedpot(5b)

That's enough for me to give it a try. I'm a little worried about how long regular melon vines get, but I think if I use 2 pairs of cages, I can rig up a support between the pairs if needed for extra top growth.

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
help with building hanging tomato plant stand
NOTE: You many have to manually copy and paste the...
kawaiineko_gardener
Hanging Basket Planters
Until we are moved into our newly built house, I have...
LullabyF360
Need Help - Garden Layout - Trellis Spacing!
Hi! I'm setting up a new garden here in Nova Scotia...
JenniferBogart
Why vertical gardening or plants?
Hi, I understand vertical gardening is useful for using...
Aliyae
DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?
Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4 I...
nattydoll
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™