Gardening on Sand Dune

soteriagal(5)February 4, 2009

We live in north central Indiana on top of a very large sand dune. There IS grass, weeds and trees growing from the sand but gardening is out of the question. We have a large section of dirt at the bottom of the sand dune near the woods, but it floods almost every year so that is useless. Now we're trying to find ways to build a large garden on top of the sand dune near the house .... and that quest has lead me to container gardening and vertical gardening.

Space isn't a problem, we have a large yard which is already fenced off. But with containers and vertical gardening, how deep should the dirt be? I would guess it depends on the plants, eh? I am wondering also what would be less expensive, rows and rows and rows of containers or buying some topsoil and having it hauled in and dumped? I would think the soil would eventually seem into the sand, wouldn't it? Yet pots are SO expensive! Perhaps raised beds? Guess I need some ideas.

I'm talking your basic large garden full of corn, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, green beans, snap peas, squash, etc. Enough to can for the winter and beyond.

Marci

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

I may be missing something here, but wouldn't it make more sense to move the dirt you have at the bottom of the hill to the sandy area, as opposed to buying dirt somewhere else and taking a chance that it will be suitable and not filled with weed seeds or otherwise unfit? Just an idea.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Working with Cattle Panels, question
We are constructing vertical supports for the vegetable...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Luffas in Missouri
Decided to grow some more Luffa gourds they take a...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Anyone have a vertical garden from wooden pallets?
I'm looking at options for expanding my garden in somewhat...
TrpnBils
Plastic or what kind of line
I am planning to plant and grow cucumbers on my back...
perezjuanf
Pumpkins rotting at vine base
My pumpkins were healthy with flowers and green leaves....
mainegard3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™