Would a wooden trellis be OK?

jwahlton(9B Kisimee)February 3, 2011

This is my first year of square foot gardening. Home Depot won't cut the conduit for me and I can't fit that in my car! I'm thinking of a wooden trellis fortified with rebar at the bottom. I'll be growing cucumbers, small watermelons/cantalope, beans using the trellis. I think I'll be OK, right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johngreenhand(8 Hill country texas)

you ahould be able to buy 5 foot conduit
I am going to use gray electrical plastic pvc stabbing in ground and then connecting and bending to an arch btw using one haf inch conduit and it seems plenty strong.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 10:16AM
magnoliasouth

I have been researching trellises like crazy these past few days. So much so that I'm actually dreaming about them at night! I'm not kidding either.

That said, you definitely CAN use wood as a trellis. The only downfall is the length of time it will last and that depends on the type of wood. My understanding is that cedar lasts longer than pine, for example. Also you want untreated wood, but there are some who say you can treat it with certain things and it would be okay. I don't remember right off hand what you can use, but you can Google that.

Below is a link to a book I found online that is VERY helpful. I loved it so much that I ordered it from Amazon, used for only $4! In any case, the "preview" will give you some ideas on any type of trellis that you can adapt it to your needs. Scroll down the page (at the link) for a bunch of amazing ideas.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis Ideas

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 9:46AM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

WOW, thanks for that!

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 10:11AM
rosiew

A suggestion: go to the store manager at the HD that said they wouldn't cut the conduit for you. Great chance he'll say 'DO IT'. Let us know, k?

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 11:04AM
tracydr(9b)

Have you considered PVC? They make a slick little pipe cutting gadget that is really cheap and really easy to use. I love PVC because there are so many options for making attachments, elbows, t's, 4-ways. Plus, different sizes. It's great material for creating things like my dog agility obstacles and garden stuff. And, one of the few mediums that don't require me to use sharp power tools!

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 12:40AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Junk yard should have what you want & cost is by the pound.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Hanging Basket Planters
Until we are moved into our newly built house, I have...
LullabyF360
Luffas in Missouri
Decided to grow some more Luffa gourds they take a...
oldgardenguy_zone6
DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?
Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4 I...
nattydoll
Two types of trellis - need advice!
Hello, I'm a first-time gardener, starting a vegetable...
jess7b
Vertical Gardening
simplifies traditional gardening, using a unique vertical...
priyaspageo
Sponsored Products
Heavy Pendant by Decode
$454.00 | Lumens
16" Round Basalt Stone Concrete Look Vessel Sink - RONDO
Living'ROC
Domus Ventures Bonassola Patio Dining Set - Seats 6 - 723HN
Hayneedle
Domain Exterior or Interior Bella Tan Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$212.95 | Bellacor
Lumberjack End Table
$134.99 | Dot & Bo