Vertical PVC Pipe?

charlielittle(7)February 26, 2008

Hi vertical folks. I mostly am at the hydroponic forum and just was wondering if any of you have ever or know of anyone growing plants right out of the side of standing PVC pipe through holes drilled in the sides of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlielittle(7)

HGTV instructions for building a vertical pipe planter. Guess it does work!

Vertical Pipe Planter

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 7:10PM
russ_whitney(Russ_Whitney)

Check out Tom Wood`s site. allseasonfruitcompany.com

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 11:12PM
charlielittle(7)

Oh man Russ that is amazing! Thanks for the link and now I have no doubt what I want to do will work!

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 4:43PM
sagebrushy

I guess I was meant to see the posts here. Especially the strawberry one. I have been wondering all summer, so far, as to how I could make something like one of those clay strawberry pots. They are to expensive to buy. I have sort of an idea I was trying to figure using those black pots that the nursery's use. There is one in town that has a recycle bin of pots and I wanted to use them - FREE!! Now I know what I am going to do. However, I think I will use the black weeping hose thingy to see if it will work. I started with a couple of plants about 4 years ago and they have taken over my veggie garden, a more or less vacant spot, and a flower garden. Last year I pulled up all the ones in the veggie garden, or so I thought. They were back this year without any help from me.
Sandra

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 9:02PM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

Absolutely, plants do grow vertically out of the sides of containers including PVC. I've seen several different types of containers that allow plants to grow out of the sides.

There's another thread about strawberries that goes into more detail for those interested:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg071550285672.html?16

~Angela

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 11:41PM
imstillatwork(8-9 Oregon Coast / Ca Border)

I got my hands on a 8" diameter pipe that holds 24 plants now, but i think next year i will add another 20 holes or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Strawberries in PCV Pipe. Strawberry Tree.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
The ideal tomato stake?
I'm looking for the ideal tomato stake--one that won't...
castorp
Pumpkins rotting at vine base
My pumpkins were healthy with flowers and green leaves....
mainegard3
A Vertical Garden For Your Desk!
How many of you are already familiar with the concept...
epiphyte78
Need Help - Garden Layout - Trellis Spacing!
Hi! I'm setting up a new garden here in Nova Scotia...
JenniferBogart
DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?
Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4 I...
nattydoll
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™