Help! What's ailing my tomatoes?!

IHeartGroceriesMay 8, 2014

I can't for the life of me figure out what is ailing my tomatoes, most importantly, although the same ailment is also affecting other crop, including my rose bush, where it seems to have started.
Anyway, most importantly, the tomatoes...
Tons of fruit set already. Plants looked great. Then, they begin to develop symptoms of perhaps a bacteria or fungal infestation.
These leaves eventually dry up and drop. This is happening on older, lower leaves, but quickly moving upward to new growth. Makes me sick, becasue for one reason or another, I NEVER have great luck with tomatoes. >: (

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Timomac(5)

To me it looks like Early Blight - the concentric rings being the best identifying symptom I can see.

This is a fungal infection. If you search the forums for Early Blight treatment and fungicides you'll find a host of treatment options described in detail.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 3:34PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Suggest removing affected foliage immediately, and spray with a fungicide, maybe Daconil.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:54PM
IHeartGroceries

As I suspected. Albeit, a little befuddlling, given recent weather conditions - essentially no rain, until today ironically, and I really have watered very sparsely. Weird that it seemed to originate on my well established, well mulched rose bush as well. Dang.
I believe the rose is too far gone. Thinking about deadheading to the ground and disposing of it all, in addition to the mulch below.
As for the maters, as suggested, I removed as much affected foliage as I could, and thinned out below and between plants. Really had to butcher a couple badly. Then, since it finally dried up today, applied Daconil. Don't have high hopes, though. Been too busy, and let it get out of control before diagnosis. :(

Thanks, all!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™