Vermicomposting in Israel

Gardener18April 1, 2012

Hi, I am new here, and excited about finding this Forum.

I wanted to know if anyone could give me advice about Domestic Vermicomposting in Israel?

I have a small deck and would like to set up a Worm Farm on it so that I can compost my household organic waste and fertilise my tiny garden.

Is anyone out there who can help.

Regards and thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Are there any worm suppliers in Israel to provide you with the worms to get you started? Shalom from Delaware USA!

Joseph

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 9:48PM
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

I'm not in Israel but you can try to find some local sources for worms. Local gardeners might know where to find them. Just make sure you get composting worms or manure worms which live in organic matter that sits on top of the soil, not "earthworms" which burrow deeply in the soil and don't do as well in a bin. Once you can get your worms, vermicomposting on your deck should be pretty much the same as anywhere else, and there's lots of info available. It would not be good to import worms because non native worms can damage local ecology if they escape.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 9:55PM
rookie09

My main concern - other than where to find composting worms in Israel - would be the ability to keep your bin outside without getting too hot.
If you can find the worms and keep them cool then vermicomposting is the same as anywhere else.
Keep them moist, dark, fed well at the right temperature and they'll do wonderful for you.
Good luck.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 2:16PM
mendopete

ShaulIsreal used to be active on this forum. He has a couple of Plastic tote bins that he has had for a couple of years. I think his last post was 3/31/12 "Moving house with worm farm". He would be a good resource if he sees this post next time he checks in. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:06PM
Shaul(Israel)

Hey Gardener18; Where do you live in Israel?

I now live, not far from Tel Aviv. Email me with your name and phone # and I'll see what we can work out. It so happens that I'm harvesting the castings, today and tomorrow and I was thinking that I need to give away some worms to make room; so you came along at the perfect time.

Shaul

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
Seed Swap
Due to Garden Web being houzz and everybody being unhappy,...
equinoxequinox
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™