red scabiosa?

nccmama(z8 TX)February 9, 2012

I'm redoing the beds near my front door, and I would like to mass some kind of low-growing perennial that blooms in the red/pink family. The location faces north so it will get full sun some of the time but be shaded by the house for part of the day. I think that scabiosa would do very well, but I'm not crazy about the color of "Butterfly Blue" for this spot. My brick color is kind a tan/peach mix, the edging of the raised bed is an orangy/tan kind of stone, but my front door is a deep red, which I don't think goes well with the almost flourescent Butterfly Blue. I have seen pictures of a red scabiosa, but all of the nurseries only seem to carry the blue or pink mist, which looks almost identical to the blue.

Maybe the red variety does not do well in the Dallas area? Any other suggestions for a perennial for this spot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I have a similar location and I don't think the scabiosa would get enough sun there. The butterfly blue that I have are in almost full blazing sun, and they do very well in that setting.
In my north facing bed by the front door I have the purple leaf oxalis triangularis that blooms a light pink and they do well with that part full sun and part shade. Pigeonberry might do well there to as long as the full sun doesn't last too long. It has light pink flowers with red berries and blooms all season.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™