Plastic or what kind of line

perezjuanf(10a)March 29, 2013

I am planning to plant and grow cucumbers on my back yard I am planning to drive 2 pvc pipes then tie a line between both pipes then drop lines wich will be tied to the horizontal line that run from one pipe to the other one, I plan that the trelis will climb on each vertical line, what kind of line should I use, plastic fishing line, twine or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uncle_t(Z6 Ontario CAN)

Don't use plastic fishing line or plastic for that matter. Heavy winds can cause it to slice or tear your vines. Also, birds can entangle themselves.

I'm building a cuke trellis (wood frame) and just bought a roll of green-colored, dual-weave nylon twine at the dollar store for $1.50 (300 ft). Check out the dollar stores for twine.

Check out this guy's twine trellis add-on

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:06PM
perezjuanf(10a)

Thanks for the twine idea which I will use, also got some ideas watching youtube have to check which will be cheaper whether using PVC or wood for the frame

Thanks

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:26PM
robertz6

I have been using heavy posts and wire for my two rows of tomatoes for the last four years.

I used a fairly heavy metal posts about 10 to 12 feet long. Squarish green three sided stuff used for attaching electrical boxes to it, found at the big box store. Put the end into a 5 gallon bucket of wet concrete and planted it. Ran plastic coated wire between the posts (25 feet apart). Added wire strands as the tomatoes grew during the season. Not real cheap, but wood posts just didn't last.

The tomatoes are attached to the horizontal wire with pieces of hosiery because it stretches and dries quickly.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 4:24PM
arley_gw

FWIW, I have found a good source for small quantities of high quality ropes and lines. Llast year I supported a net trellis with some 1/4" Dacron line, and it did well. I have no connection with this guy, but I have bought many items from him and they all appear to be good quality.

Obviously you don't need technical mountain climbing rope to support a bean vine, but this site has everything from twine to anchor lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: rope guy

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Built my first cattle panel arch trellis today!
All for less than $30 in supplies! It took over 4 hours...
bencjedi
Need Help - Garden Layout - Trellis Spacing!
Hi! I'm setting up a new garden here in Nova Scotia...
JenniferBogart
The ideal tomato stake?
I'm looking for the ideal tomato stake--one that won't...
castorp
DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?
Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4 I...
nattydoll
help with building hanging tomato plant stand
NOTE: You many have to manually copy and paste the...
kawaiineko_gardener
Sponsored Products
Louis Poulsen | Snow Floor Lamp
YLighting
Nova Creamy White Sofa
bryght.com
Modern Border Duvet Cover by DwellStudio
$249.00 | Lumens
Hinkley Atlantis LED 16" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Molten Cheese Board & Knife
$125.00 | Horchow