which veggies need a trellis?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)April 4, 2009

Sounds like a dumb question I know, but which veggies require the use of a trellis to train their vines?

I can think of a couple off the top of my head....

Sugar snap peas/snow peas

Eggplant (variety I want to grow is bambino, a miniature variety; would I still need to train the vines via a trellis)

Melons (cantaloupe, watermelon; both varieties I grow would be bush) (???)

Do bush/compact varieties of tomatoes (known as determinate)

need to have their vines trained via the use of a trellis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralleia(z5 Omaha, NE)

I'm not sure whether you are asking which plants require a TRELLIS v. simply requiring some support to grow up against.

I very deliberately avoid using any kind of trellis whenever possible--untangling dead vines from a permanent trellis each fall is murder.

Instead I use cotton string and train vines to grow up that. At the end of the season, I simply cut the strings and throw the entire mass into the compost--strings and all. It's an easy five minute job rather than a couple hours having my hands rasped by plant bristles.

The plants that I train up the strings:

Pole peas, pole beans, cucumbers, bitter melon, vining varieties of squash, vining melons.

You should not need support for the eggplant--I've never met a vining eggplant. Determinate tomatoes should be non-vining, though I've had to stake a few in the past to keep them from flopping over. A few of my pepper plants as well needed staking. I suppose the eggplant could flop if the stem isn't sturdy enough, but it should not require trellising.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?
I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try...
schroedpot
Built my first cattle panel arch trellis today!
All for less than $30 in supplies! It took over 4 hours...
bencjedi
Why vertical gardening or plants?
Hi, I understand vertical gardening is useful for using...
Aliyae
any suggestions to train summer squash to grow vertically?
Hello- I am a first time vegetable gardener. We have...
txnewtogardening
Vertical Gardening
simplifies traditional gardening, using a unique vertical...
priyaspageo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™