Vertical Gardening at an Angle

joshinwiMay 30, 2012

Hi All-

I'm new here... actually I'm new to gardening. Giving it a go this year. We'll see how it works out. So far, I'm having a lot of fun.

So I'm doing square foot gardening. Everything is planted and growing as it should, but now it's time that I make trellises.

I understand that a lot of people use conduit to make trellises. Does anyone ever have any issues of the trellises rusting? If they would rust, would that have any impact on the health of the plants?

Also, I want to put my trellises at a 45 degree angle vs. a 90 degree angle. Do you think there would be an issue with that? I have the space, and in my mind I think it will be easier for me.

Thanks!

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolj(7b/8a)

I have some cukes grow at 45 degrees.
This photo is a test, made from two flat screens of welded metal wire, with stakes to hold them in place & wired at the top were they touch. I worked very well & I will take photo's for it in use next Spring.

You can move the stakes to any angle from 180 degrees flat on the ground to 90 degrees with no angle at all.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 3:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

I've had a conduit trellis for several years, and it's doing fine. As for rust, it's the iron oxide, not harmful to plants. The rust that is harmful to plants is a disease that has nothing in common with rust on metal. I plan to soak the netting in a bleach solution beofe using it again because of disease problems this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato support

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Luffas in Missouri
Decided to grow some more Luffa gourds they take a...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Small, hot microclimate- container flower options?
I have a couple little corners outside the house that...
Kjirstyn
A small green wall... any comments or suggestions?
Hello vertical growers, We are thinking building a...
growbill65
Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?
I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try...
schroedpot
Plastic or what kind of line
I am planning to plant and grow cucumbers on my back...
perezjuanf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™