Climbing Sweet Peas

heatherk27(6a)May 3, 2008

Hi, I'm new here, hope I this is even the correct forum....I am growing climbing sweet pea seeds indoors right now and am just about ready to put them out. I'm not sure what they might like to climb - I'm debating planting them with a trellis, or letting them climb the fence. Does anyone have any experience with these plants, anything that worked? I've never done them before, and hope to have some success!

Thanks, Heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the best gardening forums you'll find anywhere, I'm in Florida and have not tried them but since there's been no response here copy your post over to the Vegetable forum; I think you'll get some responses there.

Tom

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 7:27PM
GKelly9787(Z5 IL)

Hi Heather--I am in zone 5 and trying sweet peas for the first time as well. I started them indoors in the beginning of April and put them in the ground at the end of April. I planted mine near a fence and although they are growing they are not tall enough to be climbing yet. I love to try new things in the garden to see what happens. If the sweet peas work out I will post a pic.

Gina

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 10:56AM
janniesz

Hi Heather

I too started my climbing sweet peas from seed and planted them outdoors last year for the very first time. They didn't get very big last year but this year they filled the obelisk and tipped it over - I had to stake the obelisk. I also have pea pods on them this year. What a joy to see how they took off and produced so many flowers. Hope yours grew well this year.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
A small green wall... any comments or suggestions?
Hello vertical growers, We are thinking building a...
growbill65
How strong are different sizes of steel electrical conduit?
Hello, I would like to build trellises from steel electrical...
knoxvillegardener
Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?
I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try...
schroedpot
Luffas in Missouri
Decided to grow some more Luffa gourds they take a...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Working with Cattle Panels, question
We are constructing vertical supports for the vegetable...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™