any suggestions to train summer squash to grow vertically?

txnewtogardening(8)June 6, 2008

Hello-

I am a first time vegetable gardener. We have a small square plot where we are growing corn, yellow squash and watermelon. Seeds were placed in: corn-squash-corn-watermelon-corn-squash-corn configuration. The crops to the right of the watermelon row are taking off and We've enjoyed some of the squash already.

My question is... Is it too late to build and train the squash to grow vertically? If I still have time, what suggestions do you have for me to rig a vertical structure to guide them, hopefully without damaging the plants? How do you secure the plants to the structure to train them? Please help.

The reason I'm asking is that as the weather warms, the corn will take off, and the squash may not have adequate sun.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Is your summer squash a vining type? How far between it and the other plants? It may be possible to sink 6' T-post 2-3' apart and wire either field fence or cut pieces of Cattle Panel between them if you have the room. Then, you just start training the vine up the fence/panel tying the vine using cotton strips from an old T-shirt.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 7:12PM
txnewtogardening(8)

Thanks tomncath for your suggestion and picture. I like your setup for the cucumbers.

I didn't think that I could grow them in pots so I planted my seeds in the ground. Are there advantages to planting in pots versus in ground?

The spacing between my squash plants is about 6" apart, and the spacing between each row is probably 12" apart.

Do you think a similar setup will work? Or will I need to do individual posts? I don't know how deep I can go into the ground so I don't know if individual posts will be adequate support. I probably need to add a little bit more soil and top it with mulch now that the weather is really warming up.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 12:53PM

Hard to say, remember that we're geographically VERY different. I can tell you that my benefit from the pots with trellising is control of worms and powdery mildew, which I was very successful at...being able to spray Thuricide (BT) on BOTH sides of the leaves definitely kept the worms at bay, and having the leaves so far up off the ground significantly reduced the powdery mildew problem.

Good luck!

Tom

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 9:51PM

New tag, photo embedded:

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 8:38AM
daisy3

Hi I am new too. I live in PA and I haven't had time to profile. I have a small garden space (no corn)with yellow longneck squash. This year I will cut the leaves back once the flowers bloom, so the sqush fruit can get sun. I will let you know the results??? The Indians grew corn, squash, and green beans together because green beans give nitorgen for corn to grow. Haydiann15@yahoo.com...Daisy

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 12:50PM
daisy3

Hi I am new too. I live in PA and I haven't had time to profile. I have a small garden space (no corn)with yellow longneck squash. This year I will cut the leaves back once the flowers bloom, so the sqush fruit can get sun. I will let you know the results??? The Indians grew corn, squash, and green beans together because green beans give nitorgen for corn to grow. Haydiann15@yahoo.com...Daisy

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 1:15PM
lefeavers

Yarn, and crossing fingers

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:07AM
JCitrus

this may be off topic but I just started growing winter squash, planted a bunch of stuff and it seems to be doing best. I spray with soap and kelp every so often. my observations. I will be placing my stake BEFORE planting, direct sowing into final home. placing seed almost touching stake, tie young and tie often while initial training. I like to use a cats paw knot to attach landscaping ribbon ti stake and tying a simple double overhand to secure vine. hope it helps good luck. staying tuned for cool info from more experienced members

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:40PM
JCitrus

my experiments at growing squash.

Ive been grown very fond of this plant. on a whim, put a few seeds in some 1 gallon pots just to see what would happen, if they didnt thrive I wouldnt be broken up having basically got it for free. Have had bad luck in the past, persistance is key.

let us know how it goes

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:48PM
JCitrus

fingers crossed.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?
I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try...
schroedpot
Plastic or what kind of line
I am planning to plant and grow cucumbers on my back...
perezjuanf
Luffas in Missouri
Decided to grow some more Luffa gourds they take a...
oldgardenguy_zone6
A Vertical Garden For Your Desk!
How many of you are already familiar with the concept...
epiphyte78
Need Help - Garden Layout - Trellis Spacing!
Hi! I'm setting up a new garden here in Nova Scotia...
JenniferBogart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™