Spaghetti Squash & Broccoli

edburke13(7)July 30, 2008

For the second straight summer my Spaghetti Squash plants which were growing incredibley have passed on. They had plenty of fruit and were coming in nice. I was not watering too much but we did have heavy rain for 2 days. I noticed that all of the stems were rotted and mushy at the base.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also. I live in zone 7 is it too late at this point to plant some fall type veggies such as Brussels, Broccoli or Cabbage?

Now that I lost my Spaghetti Squash, I feel the need to replace it with some new growth.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

Sorry about the spaghetti squash. I am a new gardener and do not know what happened to them. I wish I could help there. You might go to the vegetable forum and do a search for spaghetti squash posts or post a new thread. Be prepared to post everything about your planting, though, as this helps them figure out what might be the cause.

As for fall planting, yes, plant them. From Aug 1 - 15, is the time to plant your fall crops. I'm planting a whole lot of things right now. It's very exciting to have more than one harvest period per year!

~Angela

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 12:34PM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

Sounds like a Squash Vine Borer to me.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 9:39AM
kirchren

Certainly sounds like SVB to me too. Near the "mushy" parts, did you see some holes in the vine?

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Need Help - Garden Layout - Trellis Spacing!
Hi! I'm setting up a new garden here in Nova Scotia...
JenniferBogart
Melons in concrete wire tomato cages?
I'm not really space challenged, just wanted to try...
schroedpot
my first time going vertical
My garden is fairly small, about 25ft square, and last...
WendyWalker
Vertical Gardening
simplifies traditional gardening, using a unique vertical...
priyaspageo
DIY Vertical, hanging garden - Tips on transplanting + hanging?
Inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ&feature=share&list=PLJhSDv5VSRVbNkrvHfuJncnBzrcy1I-4T&index=4 I...
nattydoll
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™