Something eating Pumpkins, Watermelons, and vines!

hoosier318August 12, 2009

I have had all kinds of trouble in my garden. I have squelched the rabbits, but now something is eating my Melons and pumpkins...trying to see what it is, but they come at night. They are taking huge bites out of my developing watermelons and pumpkins and noticed they are eating the vines and blooms too. I tried to see the tracks, but can't figure out what it is. Have thought about playing vigilante late at night with the shotgun, but didn't figure the neighbors would appreciate that. So please can anyone help with any ideas? It doesn't look like small nibbles either something is having fun munching down my garden. I am afraid the tomatoes are going to be next and they are huge green ones-would like to see them turn red. HELP! Any suggestions would be appreciated!! PS: I have tried liquid fence it works on the rabbits.

thanks,

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gwanatu

Best thing to do would be to stay up one night and keep watch. If you can't identify the tracks there's not a whole lot you can do outside of that.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grow-anything

I have a similar problem, but they have only bitten off one or two stems so far. I am almost sure mine is a rabbit. I am going to set up a motion detector light to see if I can scare them or at least let me know they are there. I think I can find a noise maker of some kind to screw into one of the motion light sockets which should also help run them off.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Garden Tower Project reviews?
Has anyone used the Garden Tower Project structure?...
sunauna
help with building hanging tomato plant stand
NOTE: You many have to manually copy and paste the...
kawaiineko_gardener
Built my first cattle panel arch trellis today!
All for less than $30 in supplies! It took over 4 hours...
bencjedi
My vertical garden.........again
I'm really not bragging. I'm just excited about how...
catherinet
my first time going vertical
My garden is fairly small, about 25ft square, and last...
WendyWalker
Sponsored Products
Couristan Eden Spring Blooms Ivory/Azure Area Rug - 0231/0031-4X6.2
Hayneedle
Domusworks Chevron Choco Decorative Pillow - DM17
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Wool Circles Light 22 x 22 Pillow
$30.95 | Bellacor
Acanthus Vine Antique White 54-Inch Steel Frame Curtain Rod Valance
$133.95 | Bellacor
22-Inch Square Pumpkin and Parchment Patterned Cotton Pillow Cover with Poly Ins
$69.60 | Bellacor
Crosley Palm Harbor Outdoor Wicker Stackable Chairs - Set of 4 Multicolor - CO71
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Darya Rugs Oushak, Ivory, 8'8" x 11'10" M1721-340
Darya Rugs
Darya Rugs Oushak, Ivory, 2'8" x 8'9" Runner Rug M1772-53
Darya Rugs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™