Feeding my worms..is it ok?

pomme8916April 18, 2011

Hey all, it's been quite a while since i first posted. I've been really busy with work and school and haven't had much time to do much else. Anyways I was hoping you could help me a bit since I am just starting out this vermicomposting thing. I notice I had a container full of lettuce. It seems to have developed a brown "juice" and has some fluffy white mold growing on it. my question is, would this be safe to feed the worms? its been sitting out for a while and doesn't smell too good. I would like to thank you all for the help.

pomme8916

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
equinoxequinox

I would dump it in the worm bin and cover it with bedding. The only things I would be hesitant on would be a large amount of cabbage or broccolli stems. Those I would try to put in my outdoor compost. Everyone vermicomoposts differently so I would expect a variety of correct answers.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plumiebear(z9? CA)

pomme8916: it will depend on how big your container of lettuce is respective to your worm bin. I could throw a gallon's worth of rotting lettuce with the gunky "juice" into my 4' x 4' outdoor wormery and it would get absorbed nearly immediately. Throw that same amount into a 5 gal. mini-bin and I'd probably kill a bunch of worms.

The "brown "juice" and has some fluffy white mold" is fine - no worries there even if it stinks. It's the quantity you need to watch. equinox's advice about adding bedding will definitely help. In fact, you could even soak up that juice ahead of time with some dry, asbsorbent bedding (egg cartons, cardboard).

Andrew

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™