Bradford pear tree blooming

carrie751(z7/8 TX)February 20, 2012

As I was driving home from the store today, I noticed a bradford pear in full bloom. Couldn't wait to get home to check to see if mine were blooming (wondered how I could have missed that), and lo and behold, they are NOT. Now I wonder if there are different varieties that bloom at different times. Either I am confused or the tree is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melvalena

I'm pretty sure there are different kinds of pear tress that look like bradford but are not. Mine are not blooming but have been budding out since just after the first of the year.

Was this blooming tree in a landscape or out in the wild?

I noticed my autumn sage has a bloom! But its low on the back side that doesn't get as much sun. Strange.. but I'll take it. The rest of the plant has buds galore! I think this is the earliest I've seen it bloom. In the past at the old house mine only got 1/2 day sun at the most. I've never had a full sun one before so this might be normal?

Hummers can't be far behind! :)

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 4:18PM
ogrose_tx

My baby pear tree is blooming; don't like to see this so early!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 4:34PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

It is in a landscape, and pretty sure it is a Bradford.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 5:03PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Pears are a beautiful cloud of white when blooming, Love 'um!

Temps in different locations not far apart, called micro-climates as you know, make more of a difference than you'd think. Things a few blocks up the street may be blooming but where I am at the bottom of the hill near the dry creek bottom the same plants are not.

I can wait. Lots of things I still need to do in the garden :-)

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 5:50PM
Lynn Marie

Haven't seen any Bradfords blooming, but my peach tree is in full bloom. The bees are very happy about that!

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 7:59PM
flowerlover78(8b)

i have a peach- just one of 3 blooming and i have a pineapple pear that is blooming- but another pear that is not. crazy. I agree with Ragna- about the micro- climates.
my anna apple is blooming too-
Enjoy them-
Gina

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 11:53AM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I've seen a couple wild "Bradford" pears blooming already. My autumn sage has been blooming sporadically all winter. One of my Lady in Red salvias has a branch (or two) that's still green! The rest, along with my Henry Duehlberg & Mystic Spires salvias are sprouting from the roots already. The latter two haven't really died back, either. It'll be interesting to see what they do! This has been one crazy winter.

Does anyone have a mature mesquite tree near by? Specifically in North Texas? I'm curious as to their "status"...they're about the only thing I trust to tell me if spring is here!

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 9:20PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

By the way, my bradford pears are blooming today and getting leaves at the same time.......strange happenings.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 10:44PM
flowerlover78(8b)

my mesquite are not doing anything yet i am south of san antonio

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 1:55PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Gina, thanks for the report. Not good news. Oh well, after last winter's hard freeze I bought lots of old comforters at my daughter-in-law's resale shop so if I have to get them out I will.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™