Potassium Bicarbonate for blight

greengrass12(5)May 14, 2012

I have read that potassium bicarbonate is effective against blight. Green cure which contains pb is called out in most discussions. However, green cure cost 3 or 4 times more than just plain pb.

Does plain pb work against blight or should I spend the extra money for professional product containing pb? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

green, blight is just a general word that many folks use to describe a sick tomato plant, but it doesn't indicate the specific disease(S) that you're trying to deal with.

Is it one of the common foliage diseases such as Early Blight ( A. solani) or Septoria Leaf Spot or one of the two bacterial ones such as Bacterial Speck or Bacterial Spot?

Or is it something more than that such as a systemic soilborne disease such as Southern Blight, Fusarium, Verticillium and there are several more. it would also help to know where you garden since not all tomato pathogens are present in all areas of the US.

So perhaps best to ID a specific disease first.

I know that NA bicarbonate is some what effective for some flowering plants, for mold diseases, but has not been effective for the fungal tomato foliage diseases. And I've not heard of anyone mentioning K bicarbonate although yes, NA bicarbonate.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 5:59PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

greengrass1, here are a couple of links to excellent lists (with photos and some info) of a few dozen tomato diseases and some other conditions. Perhaps you could use them to pinpoint the possible problem(s) you have in mind:

Cornell's tomato disease diagnostic

(Click on the labels on the plant diagram to see problems with that part of the plant.)

Texas A&M's Tomato Problem Solver

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:06AM
greengrass12(5)

Thanks for responses.

My tomatoes look great up until mid july when early blight becomes obvious.

This yr I have resolved to take an early stand and would like to keep it organic. I have received a pkt of actinovate and I would also like to spray with sodium bicarbonate. Some have reported decent results.

There are some potassium bicarbonates marketed specifically as fungal cures such as green cure. The there is just plain old sodium bicarbonate which is fairly cheap. I was wondering if plain old pb is same as the stuff marketed for gardens.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
Sponsored Products
Dish It Out Unscented Dish Soap - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily
8-Oz. Light Blue Vanilla Fondant
$7.99 | zulily
Humboldt Nutrients Verde - HNV404
$23.29 | Hayneedle
Enisyl-F treats - 015VET01-180
$29.99 | Hayneedle
CET Toothpaste Tarter Control Seafood - 70 g - 018VR-CET202
$14.98 | Hayneedle