bare root knock out roses

strebberFebruary 5, 2009

I meandered into Home Depot today looking for a rake, and of course, had to walk thru the garden section, and I found a yellow knock out bare root rose. There were only a few left, and I really wanted one, so I bought it. My question now is, when can I plant it in the ground, and does it need anything special done until the weather warms a bit? I love reading these forums. They've helped me so much! So, any tips you have are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I soak all my bare root roses in water before planting. Now would be a great time to get it in the ground, IMHO.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 5:15PM
beachplant(9b)

I've never been a fan of these roses but I am now. They survived the hurricane just fine. About the only roses that lived down here.
Tally Ho!

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 5:20PM
ltruett(Zone, 9 Houston)

I got the same thing and planted it right away. It is warm enough in Dallas where you don't really have to worry about much. My Sunny KO is actually leafing out already.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 8:31PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I got Sunny KO last week or so and planted it in 3g container. It's already starting to leaf out. I bought it to compare to Grandma's yellow rose. I just don't have a spot for Sunny KO at the moment. That means a new bed on caliche soil for it and several others in the containers so it's not something I'm looking forward to.

It's fine to plant bareroot KO roses in the ground right now. I've done worse and they came out fine.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™