bedding

wowwormsApril 29, 2008

When i got my worms 2 weeks ago, the guys you gave them to me said he keeps them in wet newspaper and peat moss. I have about a 50/50 mix. The worms seem to be happy they are eating and not escaping. As i read some of the posts I thought i should question an expert before i make any changes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suziqzer

It's really up to you and what you have available. I just recently started and just use shredded paper, torn newspaper & cardboard.

Others use mixes of paper, peat, coco bricks, old compost, aged manure.

It's really up to you as to what you have on hand. Just be sure that you don't have a mixture that will heat up when you put them together. If you're not sure it's best to put them together for several days and give them a good stir a couple of times and make sure they don't give any heat.

It's not in my best interest to purchase bedding because there is so much waste that can be used for that purpose already. If I had easy access to manure I would probably use a little of that as most that use it say it's great & the worms love it.

I do believe if you use peat it's best to rinse it good before you use it. I haven't used it myself, but I believe I read that when I was setting up my bin. We have a bag sitting in the barn that a soil tester told me not to put on my garden so I was considering adding some of it to my bin at some point. Peat, I believe, can hold a lot of moisture too so do watch out for that as that's something a lot of newbies have trouble with.

HTH.. Have Fun!! :)

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 3:02PM
marshall2000

I go along with Suziqzer. Using bedding materials that we already have keeps waste out of landfills and doesn't cost anything.

I don't like Peat Moss because it can be acid. It is also a non renewable resource.

Marshall

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 8:12PM
leearnold(z5 In.)

I use a mixture of shredded newsprint, shredded cardboard, and coffee grounds (which I get free from Starbucks) I agree - why waste your money buying something when so many free options are available?

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™