Tomato Plant leaves yellowing from the bottom up

Noteybook(5)May 9, 2013

Hey there! I bought these tomato plants from a nursery about a week ago, and in the past few days the leaves on the bottom of the plant have been turning yellow, and have little black spots on them.

I went back to the store and they said I was overwatering them; so I let them dry out a bit(stuck my finger in the soil, up to the knuckle, and it was dry) and then watered them again.

The two tomatoes are a Roma and Yellow Boy Variety. The picture attached with this one is the Roma; I'll be posing more pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noteybook(5)

Here is a close-up of the leaves on the Roma Tomato

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:46PM
Noteybook(5)

This is the Lemon Boy(my apologies, I put in yellow boy in my OP and it's Lemon boy)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:47PM
Noteybook(5)

And here is a close-up of the Lemon Boy's leaves; these are healthy ones at the top, that have those dark/black spots I've been seeing in the yellowing leaves.

The Roma does not have these dark spots in its' healthy leaves.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:48PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Too much rain or over-watering, which in a container that small would be easy to do. Other possible causes are lack of nutrients - primarily nitrogen. You must feed them regularly. Or being root bound in the pot. That is a big plant for that size container so it could easily be rootbound.

Every time you water a plant in a container the nutrients leach out so they must be replaced regularly. When the size of the container is proportional to the plant you don't have that much of an issue.

Dave

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:04PM
Noteybook(5)

Hi Dave! Thanks for replying; I decided to give them some plant food with their water today, here's hoping that it will help them perk up a bit. I didn't even think about how they might need plant food already; the nursery I got them from has the same tomato plants and they are doing fine.

I'm going to try to transplant them into a bigger container if I can-I don't have a lot of garden space available. I have 4 more little 4" tomato plants, but they're healthy.

Notey

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:20PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Most container growers recommend feeding weekly. Using liquids is easier as you can just mix it up once a week when you water. others will use 1/4 to 1/2 strength mix each time they water.

Dave

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 6:19PM
Noteybook(5)

I'd also like to mention I have potting soil, it's osmocote and it claims to feed for 6 months; would you advise I supply additional feed weekly, or should that be okay?

Notey

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Dwarves ....They Do'nt Get No Respect !!
To my observations, most talks are about How Big their...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Sponsored Products
Areca 7-foot Silk Palm Tree
Overstock.com
Set of Four Cheese Labels Italian Marble Coasters
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Mixed Greens and Spathyfillum & Decorative Vase Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Tom Pouce Knockdown Low Table - Fermob
$186.00 | HORNE
Truly Romance Faux-Floral Arrangement - WHITE
$485.00 | Horchow