Hummingbird ID?

jardineratxFebruary 3, 2013

I've had hummers coming to our feeders throughout the fall and winter this year. Normally, there is little winter activity so I put the feeders away and let the year-round residents feed on whatever is blooming. This year, however, I kept two feeders out and the hummers are visiting pretty frequently. This hummingbird is new to my feeders and I don't know what it is. This photo is not great, but can someone attempt an ID? It is a light brown and more "flighty" than my red-throats.
Thanks,
Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

I'm pretty sure this is a subadult male Rufous Hummingbird. This species is a rare visitor to feeders on the Gulf Coast during the fall and winter. It is more commonly seen in the Western United States.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Country Audubon Society

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:54PM
Gretchen Wood

Glad someone could identify the species. How nice to have one that is rare to our area. I would be outside quietly taking photo after photo. What a welcomed guest.
That is so cool. I hope to attract many hummingbirds to my garden & feeders this year. My garden is an oasis for h birds & butterflies.
Have a happy day.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:02AM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

I had a Rufous about 8 years ago in the Fall. Could not believe my eyes when he whizzed by me and started working a lantana. Only time I saw it so felt like it was on its way to the coast.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:35PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I agree it is a Rufous. Looks like it might be a juvenile male, but not a 100% certain.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:29PM
jardineratx

Thanks for the responses, and, yes, it is a Rufous. I googled information on these hummers and the ID fits. I have tried to take more photos, but these little rascals are nothing like my ruby-throats, who perch and linger at the feeder for extended periods. I did get some good views with my binoculars, but it's as if they can see me with my camera and will have no part of that effort.
Molly

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™