I need a good vine for oklahoma

iliketopartyJanuary 22, 2009

I recently purchased a new home that has a back porch that was covered in vines at some point but was ripped out because the prior owner did not wish to maintain the vines. It's winter now and I would like to get a new one started hopefully that will have some coverage by this summer. I'm looking for a good vine that will not attract ants. Or other pests, and not start sprouting up all over my lawn. Any help would be much appreciated. Pretty moderate lighting conditions with a fair amount of precipitation and general watering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_convolvulaceae

I would recommend trying any of the:

Youjiro

Yaguruma
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57867/

Maisugata
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/106236/

Ipomoea tricolor is also a good choice for good coverage and the seeds will not survive cold winters...

Hope that helps...

Ron

P.S. - Many merchants offer incorrectly identified seeds,so be sure to obtain your seeds from a source that has correctly identified seeds...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea tricolor in the PlantFiles

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 4:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara_muret(ctr OK)

really fast growing and absolutely gorgeous is "scarlet runner bean" - actually edible beans, but never tried to actually cook them... you can find them at Lowes in the seed section, if you get there early - just look everywhere you see seed pkgs. They're especially nice because its a one time thing - totally non invasive. If you like them, save the bean pods and use them as seeds next year

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™