Pink & Purple Moon Vine Fragrant?

squirrelspur(6B/7A NC)January 30, 2008

Have you found the pink or purple moon vine to be at all fragrant? Does it like the same growing conditions as the fragrant white moon vine?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_convolvulaceae

Hi squirrelspur - The pink and lavender moonvines are not fragrant like the Ipomoea alba,but perhaps through selection a strongly scented and/or truly fragrant variety could be produced...

Ipomoea turbinata usually produces soft spines along the stems and has flat leaves and smooth dark seeds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/48191/

Ipomoea macrorhiza has flowers that are often scalloped and ruffled, 'pleated' leaves and fuzzy seeds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65128/

The flowers are large and showy...this species produces a large perennial root that can be overwintered indoors or sometimes outdoors with a heavy mulch where the temperatures do not remain below freezing for very prolonged periods of time...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea macrorhiza moonvine

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 6:21PM
ron_convolvulaceae

Ipomoea albivenia is known to be fragrant and produces a perennial caudex but may not bloom until the 2nd year...

The blooms are white or cream with a pink or yellow throat and lower tube...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea albivenia perennial caudex forming fragrant moonvine

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 6:42PM
squirrelspur(6B/7A NC)

Thanks Ron!

Now for another ? - do you know of any U.S. sources for the seed esp. the ipomoea albivenia? I found a couple sources for the Ipomoea turbinata. I do see them listed at B&T World Seeds - have you had dealings with them?

Karen squirrelspur

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 5:41AM
ron_convolvulaceae

Hi Karen squirrelspur,

B&T has a very large selection and I usually order from them at least once a year...the problem that I've encountered with B&T is that they often take a very long time to fill orders and can 'inadvertently' send the wrong species...
so,if you really know what the seeds of each species are suppossed to look like then any incorrect species sent can be addressed asap,but if you are not familiar with the detailed characteristics of various Morning Glory species you might get the wrong species and not know it...

There are presently no sources for Ipomoea albivenia seeds in the US that I know of...although I have seen plants offered on ebay...

TTY,...

Ron

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 4:36AM
More Discussions
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Morning Glorying away the winter blues! :)
At last, My heavenly blue MG vine put out four blooms...
dena_eft
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™