new bin, bedding, drowning worms...
I started a worm bin out of a plastic container about a week ago and after reading a number of posts realized that I may have already made a number of mistakes....
1) I made my own bin, the instructions I had received did not mention drilling holes for drainage or keeping a pan under the bin. I but a few cups of water on on top of the just after I put the worms in. Is it possible that I drowns my worms? Would it be bad to take the worms out and put them into a new bin so soon after starting it? If I restart it, how long should I wait/do I have to restart it?
2) I had mixed some potting soil with food scraps which I had been saving up for about a week on the bottom of the bin. I dumped the worms in and placed moistened strips of newspaper on top of them. Is this an effective way to start the bin?
3) Among the original foods in the bin was rice and bread. Can the worms eat this, I saw a post that suggested they can't?
4) I used newspaper that was a mix of colored and b/w, non of it was glossy, is this ok?
5) My initial problem which made me look deeper into FAQs was that after a few days in the bin a few of the worms were crawling up the sides. At that point my roommate had place blankets on top of the bin. Did they crawl up in search of air or was there another reason?
Thanks, I'd appreciate any help you can give