Mandevilla question

october17(5chgo)January 16, 2010

I have purchased mandevillas every summer for the last several years. I overwintered one and it survived pretty well. That is, til I repotted it.

The vines seem to do much much better if I do not repot them. If I buy one and then repot it, it is stunted for the whole summer. Do these vines like to be root bound or do they just not like to be disturbed?

I'm overwintering one this year that I did not repot. I'm wondering if I should leave it in the same pot or if I will have to transplant. Has anyone just dig out some dirt from the top and replace with fresh and be successful?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Mandevillas do like to be pot-bound. Half of the potting soil needs to be removed and new soil added. In April or May, start fertilizing weekly - they don't like to be soggy, either. You should cut it back to about a foot and treat it for spider mites. You should see new growth in March or April. You can move it outdoors in full sun in May.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 9:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

You can do as kavjones suggest or simply repot it one or two size larger. This way you don't disturb the roots at all. I have a Madevilla that is over 20 years old which I bought from a mail order company. What I received looked like a stick in a small pot. But I gave it 2 years in that pot until it was big enough to go to a larger size pot (1 size up). I did that every two years and it's now in a huge pot the size that holds a tree. It's just in time to make the move with me to Florida where I plan to permanently plant it against a trellis.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™