Newbie - cloth over liquid bin question

mccabaApril 25, 2009

Hello,

I'm relatively new to vermicomposting, and have a question. I have a 4-tray composter from Wormswranger, and things are going well so far (worms have been in for 3 weeks). Today I did a little checking on them and noticed that most of the worms, along with what looks like just compost to me (no big chunks) are laying on the cloth layer which is between the first tray and the liquid collection tray. I didn't think they were supposed to be there, so I moved them back to the first tray, pulled the cloth tight, and set the first (bottom) tray back on it. Should I have left it alone?

I know, a little late to ask now, but I just didn't think of asking here first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Worms that make it down there might find their way back, or they might eventually die. I would have done the same thing. In fact, I would make it a point to check every 2 or 3 days to see if any strays got down there, and put them back in one of the working trays.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 12:51AM
briansttt(5)

Mine go down in there all the time and then come back up (I've watched them going both ways). I don't worry about it because as long as you have the cloth pulled tight and the liquid isn't so full that it is touching the fabric then they are just doing their job and "working" in this part as well. When there is nothing left but compost in that part they'll stop going down there.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 7:16AM
mccaba

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep checking on them.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:41AM
folly_grows(10 SF by the Bay)

Hi, Mccaba,

I have the same system that you have, but when I bought mine from Wormswrangler last year, they weren't including the weed cloth for between the collection and bottom tray. I had to come upon that idea myself. Don't worry, the downward migration is normal. They're just exploring. The cloth keeps the worms and VC from gunking up the collection tray. The worms will find their way back up in their own wandering time. If you want, you can also put some shredded paper or cardboard in the collection tray. It will absorb any excess liquid, prop up the cloth, and can be added to the upper trays later.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™