Using stock tank for garden ... Advice?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasFebruary 22, 2010

A friend gave us a 21" high 3' round practically new stock tank for a pond or garden container. She bought it for a pond, but raccoons tore up some other fish ponds she had so she is giving up the idea of having ponds.

I'd LOVE to use it for a pond, but there are raccoons in the vicinity so I guess that's out -- even if we don't keep fish in it. What do you think? Is there any way to keep raccoons out?

Two more questions: the site below says to cover the inside with heavy black plastic to keep zinc from leaching into the soil if it is used for plants. That is something that I hadn't considered. Do you all agree? Of course we'll drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

Another question: I've already been warned that the metal will heat up in the sun and bake the plants in a small container. Would three ft. diamenter be considered a small container? If so how would one insulate it without spending a ton of money on bricks or stones?

Maybe I should put it in the shade for a bog garden. What are Interest plants to use for a bog garden? If used for that how much drainage capability needs to be provided? I has a drain connection on the side already.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on these ideas. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a stock tank for garden ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Roselee,
I think your tank would make a wonderful bog garden. If you turned it into a pond, even without fish, you'd have to treat for mosquitoes, keep thirsty predators (possums, 'coons, skunks, etc.) away and invest in a recirculating pump. As a flower or vegetable garden, you have listed the problem--heat! It might work as a coldframe, since it would heat up the soil in it, but that's really very seasonal.
There is a bog garden forum here at GW. You might want to check it out to see about interesting plants and techniques.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 7:45AM
PKponder TX(7b)

I grow a lot of taro in boggy conditions. Louisiana Iris, Lizard's tail (Saururus cernuus), Texas Star Hibiscus and a couple different spider lilies (Crinum pedunculatum and an unidentified hymenocallis) have done really well in boggy conditions for me.

Pam

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:07AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thank you Marlingardener and Pam for your replies. Here is a picture of the stock tank to give you an idea of the size. It wouldn't necessarily stay in this exact spot, but I was so wanting to use it to grow squash or something like that in it. But if y'all think the soil will get too hot in the sun I'll have to move it to a shady spot under the trees for ornamentals of some kind.

Is there anyone here that uses a stock tank for a raised garden of any type?

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 10:27AM
PKponder TX(7b)

I love that tank, but don't know about the heat factor.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 11:29AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thanks for your comments and others that have come by email ... "I'm thinking, I'm thinking"

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 8:51PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

In any of you are thinking of using a stock tank for gardening I thought you might be interested in what members of the Container Forum had to say.

By the way, they have some great posts on there. For one I had never heard of rat tail radishes before, plus all the great posts on soil and fertilization for containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Forum: Using stock for veggie garden?

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 11:03AM
jolanaweb

Roselee, you have been busy in the back haven't you girl?
That is a great tank. We are just about as rural as you can get and we have all kinds of critters, day and night and we have never had the raccoons, possums, owls, hawks, herons, etc
try to get our fish and we have to give away lots of babies every year.
I remember Jack Benny well, LMBO

Whatever you decide to do, it will be wonderful and I am sure it will be very colorful and/or delicious, LOL

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Need Texas wisteria in Austin
Good morning! Does anyone know where I can find Texas...
atxhoolie
California Poppies
The first bloom opened on my California poppies. The...
briaustex 8b
Which of these plants might work on my blazing hot deck?
My 2nd story deck is full blazing sun, and I want to...
liz_h
Scarlet's Peak Yaupon as Privacy Hedge?
Is anyone using this holly? Although relatively new,...
tamgirl99
Pink & White flowering native trees
I saw some light pink flowering trees yesterday in...
ruthz
Sponsored Products
Cape Cod Foldable Adirondack Chairs - Red - Set of 2 - MP076
$279.96 | Hayneedle
Dog House: Merry Products Duplex Wood Dog House
$349.97 | Hayneedle
Merry Products Cat Scratching Post with Round Ball Toy Base - TOY0011721800
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Cape Cod Foldable Adirondack Chair - Red - MP073
$139.98 | Hayneedle
Cape Cod Foldable Red Adirondack Chair with Optional Cushion - MP127
$139.98 | Hayneedle