Vine's suggestions to plant with/under Yew tree's?

Kate1970(7a)January 13, 2012

Hello All,

I am new to zone 7a (Northern Virginia) as well as new to vines. We have just moved into our first home which is beautiful on the inside but the landscaping (I'm being kind when I call it landscaping) was terribly neglected. We have Yew trees on one side of us that have to be at least 75-100 feet tall which at first we considered trimming.

After living here for the last 6 months and dealing with my next door neighbors, I am so very thankful we decided to keep the Yew's as a large privacy screen. The tops of the yews have grown in and filled in nicely but the lower 4-6 feet are still pretty see through and would like to be able to sit in my yard in peace. Without going into dramatics lets just say we've called the police several times and each time they've rattled off my neighbors house number before I even say it! Because we are doing so many renovations a new privacy fence is definitely on the list but not in the budget for this current year.

Is there such a vine that would fill in the lower half of the Yews without strangulating it? We would be twining it through a 4 foot chain link fence. From research woodsy vines seem to do a lot of damage to chain link so I'm looking for a nice non wood perennial.

Help!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainblaine456(5a)

hmmm, clematis would grow up a fence, and its not woody. they are expensive though and you would need quite a few.

is there a fair amount if sun under the trees?

if you find a perennial vine you like it might take a few years to fill in the fence. you could plant along a quick growing annual vine with them the first year to cover the gaps while the perennial vine grows.

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 8:08PM
jolj(7b/8a)

The coral,scarlet,mailbox Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is a woody wood vine that will not get very big diameter & will not hurt your fence,IMO. I have seeds, if you Google it & want to try it, I can send you some seeds.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 7:57PM
Kate1970(7a)

mainblaine thank you for your suggestions! I like the idea of a fast growing annual. That's a great idea. I love clematis but as a newbie I have no experience with them. My MIL has some Confederate Jasmine for me but it will be late in the summer before she will visit again.

Jolj, You are so very kind for offering me seeds! I was researching Honeysuckles last night and was looking at Major Wheeler which looked like it might eat my house! lol I will google coral scarlet for sure. Its so very kind of you both to help a newbie out. I'd be happy to pay you for the seeds and appreciate the advice!

There might be hope for the mudpit yet. (the mudpit is my not so affectionate nickname for the yard) I'll post some photos of the Yew's tomorrow to better show you what I have to work with.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™