Shrub as a support for honeysuckle?

bonzgirlJanuary 8, 2008

Hello all!

I have one honeysuckle (goldframe?) next to the kitchen side door.

Currently it's planted in cedar planting box w/wood trellis attached to it. It looks ok, but it doesn't look so great in winter time. Even in summer, my honeysuckle gets mildew eventually, doesn't look so pretty on trellis either..

So, I'm in search of medium size shrub (6'-10'tall, 4-5' wide) which my honeysuckle can grow over them. That way, I can still enjoy its beautiful yellow/orange flowers, but don't have to see lots of mildew on trellis.

So far, I'm thinking about BURKWOOD VIBURNUM (Viburnum x burkwoodii) or EUONYMUS. But would love to hear your opinions and if any other suggestions.

I'm planning to use bird net for backup support for honeysuckle until the shrub grow up tall enough to have honeysuckle grow on.

Thanks!

-b

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I planted them, helter skelter, without much forethought, and the ones at the base of my small Viburnum nudum scrambled up and really seemed to do little harm, although some smaller branches were twisted a little by the weight. I had to pull away the shabby dying vines, at frost. I am more likely to try one or two vines with the Viburnum plicata 'Mariesii'(if that's correct),this coming Summer.
Generally I keep them to my several trellises but they would dress up the dull Summer appearance of my Forsythias and winterberry.

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 5:42AM
gardengal48

If you keep the honeysuckle well pruned, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with any type of substantial shrub. Most honeysuckle vines in the PNW are very vigorous growers and will rapidly produce a dense, tangled vine that in leaf is very heavy. A honeysuckle in my garden that missed pruning one season easily engulfed a large camellia as well as a very mature hardy fuchsia and a nearby containered Japanese maple. The camellia was pretty much unharmed but the weight of the vine pulled over the fuchsia and damaged the top of the maple. I prune the vine back very hard in late winter but it still produces enough growth in a season to be a concern to other nearby plantings.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 9:31AM
bonzgirl

Thank you both for sharing your experience w/shrub + honeysuckle.

Sounds like it can hurt the shrub if I can't keep up on honeysuckle vine...

I'm still interested in trying out w/shrub, but I got another idea... I will try planting annual Hyacinth vine to fill up the bare honeysuckle this summer. If it didn't work, then will plant shrub this fall. :)

Thank you for your advices/info!

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™