Need help identifying

SelenaD-ComposterApril 23, 2014

I was scooping through my worm bin to check on things and found a big pile of these little things (see picture). They almost look like little seeds and I am not sure what they are. My worm eggs look like little light brownish beads that are rounded and look like they might pop between my fingers if I squished them. These are not spread out in my bin, just in one corner and they look a little more rough with a clear edge to them (i.e. like a seed, it seems like there are two sides that come together at the edges). Should I be concerned? Anyone see something like this and know what it is? I am tempted to scoop it all out and throw it in a bush.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mooshy

It looks to me something similar to wheat?

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SelenaD-Composter

Pretty sure it's not wheat. Unless wheat can appear from nowhere and show up buried in a foot deep of worm castings. I'm worried this is some sort of cocoon of another bug. But I just don't know so I have no idea if it could potentially be harmful to my worms. I lost a bunch of worms due to over feeding but have been trying to balance everything out in my bin. All my hard work has finally paid off and I'm no longer having stench or excess of fruit flys and now I have a TON of little baby worms and still plenty more worm cocoons in there. I guess I'm just being overly cautious of these other cocoon looking seed things because I tried so hard to nurture my bin back to health.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™