worm harvesting burlap manure burrito.

mendopeteApril 20, 2010

I made one today! I used about 3 lbs of very aged horse manure and rolled it up into a burrito after sprinkling over a 2'x3' piece of wet burlap. I put this 6" diameter 18" long log in a 22 gallon finishing tote to trap new juveniles. Next week I will pull it and seed a new wormery. A take off of the onion bag technique.

Pete

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
equinoxequinox

My guess is a lot of the worms will want to hang out there. Also reminds me of ideas of harvesting pure vermicastings in a previous hollow place worms like to hang out. So often the worms seem to be just hanging out and not working. Sort of like laizing around digesting after Thansksgiving Dinner. Sort of a segway into harvesting 100% pure vermicastings to harvest because there is an area the worms bring the vermicastings seperate from where the vermicompost is.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

Pete ... great idea! I wonder if an old cotton sock will work as well? I've got a bunch of vermicompost that I assume is full of cocoons, and this method seems perfect, and have no burlap and a ton of old socks. Well, we'll see. Will let you know.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™