Evergreen Vine To Fill In Privets

greenesmith(Zone 7 (NYC))January 4, 2010

Our new house has old, sparse, 20 foot privet bush hedge borders. Problem is the tall privets are bare trunks for first 4 feet or so of their height- just wood stalks. Know can cut the privets down to promote lower leaf growth, but like the height of them, the sort of loose secret garden effect of privets' unkempt old growth, and like looking out at privot "canopy" from our 2nd floor windows.

Which has me trying to figure out ways to maintain narrow profile of the border (which is edge to 4 foot wide shade plant bed)while filling in the bare bottom and blocking out neighbor's adjacent AC units.

Looking for a not invasive evergreen vine that's winter hardy in NYC Zone 7 - that I can train to grow around bare privet bottoms - that's dense enough to create privacy screen - and will grow in part sun / more shade. Spring/summer flowers and/or fall berries would be a bonus. I am not an Ivy fan, which makes this even harder.

All info very much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woody_ct(6B)

Not alot of evergreen vines to pick from in NYC especially that will flower in part shade but check out Gelsemium sempervirens(Carolina Jasmine)and Bignonia capreolata(Cross Vine). Years ago they were considered strictly southern plants but there are newer cultivars that are hardy and evergreen in zones 5/6. Good Luck!

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woody_ct(6B)

Forgot to mention on the Gelsemium sempervirens you want to look at the cultivar'Margarita'.That one is working just fine for me here in CT.

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Sponsored Products
Estate Pre-Lit Christmas Wreath - 30" dia. Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Woodland Set of Two Cordless Window Swags
Grandin Road
7.5-inch Cedar Ball Set (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Evergreen Medium Clear Seedy Sycamore Outdoor Wall Mount
$456.00 | Bellacor
Evergreen 20 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
$49.98 | Lamps Plus