Through the Mill a Second Time

equinoxequinoxMay 5, 2010

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Why should I condition flow through vermicompost in a bucket when I can run them through a second yet finer flow through system and capture finer vermicompost.

Few worms will be in the first flow through vermicompost. Those found while transfering can be tossed back into the first flow through. Eggs can hatch in the second flow through system, yet will not grow mature enough in the to lay more eggs before once again being re harvested and any worms tossed back into the first flow through.

Its a dream I have.

What say ye? Yea or Nay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randomz

I have had similar thoughts, though with worms in the 2nd bin to promote further processing.

Then I asked myaelf "Why?".

I have pretty much decided I am not trying to create the worlds best castings, and any unprocessed food stuff, will continue to break down in the garden anyway.

I have read some arguments that claim impure castings are more beneficial than pure castings.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antoniab(5 WofChicago,IL)

I think it depends on what you want. If you want the very most potent castings, in the most concentrated form, with the least loss of potential worms and are willing to take the time for it, then go for it. If what you want is decent vc and a reasonable increase in worm population, then don't.

But it would be fun to see how very rich you could get the final product.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™