endless summer

greybird(z7 TX)March 31, 2012

99 degrees predicted for Sunday in Vernon. Exceptional drought without end. There has to be somewhere better than here.

I can see why many early settlers packed up the wagon and left their claims. They just couldn't take it anymore.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melvalena

WOW. :(

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:04AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I am so sorry to hear that Vernon got no relief from the drought this winter. But what can you do but hang in there and enjoy what you can. I'm hoping and praying you and other drought stricken areas see some better days soon.

For my yard I'm keeping my order in at a couple of thrift stores for beach umbrellas to shade the roses if needed again this summer.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:59AM
greybird(z7 TX)

I'm trying to keep my chin up, but it keeps dropping down again.

It is weird that last year, it was 102 on the first Sunday in April with high winds.

Looks like a repeat performance.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 2:06PM
fabaceae_native

Sorry to hear the drought is still hanging on where you are.

To cheer you up, check out the NOAA current drought conditions across the country with the following link:

http://www.droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

It shows that you are probably in the extreme to exceptional drought, but in a rather small pocket when compared to further west in Texas and the SE corner of NM.

Another graphic linked below, the drought forecast, shows that you are right on the line between "some improvement" and "likely to improve". That would be good news if it comes true, right?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 2:37PM
greybird(z7 TX)

"Some inprovement" and "likely to improve" is wonderful news!!!!! We have been seeing only "persist or intensify" for sooooo long.

I don't know how everyone else handled last summer, but it had a profound effect on me. Sort of a post traumatic effect. The weather channel makes me go off on tirades. My husband is praying that this drought might lessen, I am about to drive him nuts.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™