new: garden book lover's rr

kayemellAugust 15, 2006

I love to read and collect garden books, but noticed that there's not a lot of activity on the Book Exchange forum, so I am stealing an idea from Beth B. and hosting a Garden Book Lover's RR.

Would you like to refresh your collection of gardening books? A Garden Book Robin would be a great opportunity to pass on some of the books that you have read a number of times, and gain new ones for your library. The books have to be related to gardening -- for example, garden crafts, flower gardening, veggie gardening, landscape design, propagating how-to's, bulbs, houseplants, decorating the garden, historic gardens, botanic gardens around the world - you get the idea.

The USPS has a special "media" rate which is a lower cost than 1st class. It will probably cost around $8 - $10 to mail. (But getting potentially 12 books for $10 is a great bargain!)

If you join the RR, you select books from the box, then replace with the same number that you took.

I will start the Robin with 12 books. As soon as a minimum of 8 people sign up, I'll start the flight geographically. In other words, I live in Southwestern PA, so I will send it to the person closest to me, who will send it to the person closest to them, etc. I will include address labels in the box, and each player selects an address to determine who gets the box next.

Want to play? Post here and e-mail me with your gardenweb name, real name and mailing address.

This will be fun!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbya_gw(z4IL)

I would love to join!

Deb

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 10:22PM
debbya_gw(z4IL)

Giving this a bump!

Deb

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 11:42PM
sguanzon(z9 AZ)

I'd be interested! How much postage do you figure that many books would be? I know books are heavy - how much cheaper is it with the media rate, do you know?

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 3:46PM
kayemell

C'mon gals! I know you all have lots of garden books that you'd like to share in return for ones you haven't read... I'm giving this a little bump just to get this RR some more attention!

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 9:38PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Kay, my problem is "I never met a book I was able to part with", both my house and my storage shed prove that!!!
OK I really do "want it all" when it comes to books AND plants.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 7:03AM
summerfireflys(z4 wy)

i can play along...i was just going thru my books...i have 4-5 books i can trade...

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 9:39AM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

i would like to be a part of this one as well if there is enough interest.

thanks,
maryanne

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 10:38PM
lilylouise(z6NY)

I'd like to be a participant in this swap.

lil

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 4:31PM
kayemell

So far we have 7 people (counting me) willing to join:

debbya
sguanzon
beth_b_kodiak
summerfireflys
earthlydelights
lilylouise

Since this is a busy time of year (kids back to school, squeezing in that summer vacation you meant to take, Labor Day, etc) I will re-post this RR suggestion in mid September. Or maybe even later in the year when garden chores are less pressing. Thoughts? Ideas?

Bookmark   August 24, 2006 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
NEW: Splendid Squash Swap!
Welcome to the first annual Splendid Squash Seed Swap! This...
fresc1000
NEW: Garden Seed Swap - Flowers, etc...
Hello, I would like to host a seed swap for flowers...
oliviarosaline
UPDATE: Winter Sowing Swap 2014-2015 #2
Welcome to the next thread for my Winter Sowing Swap...
heavenlyfarm
Garden Web messaging is back without having to follow one another!
Below I'm copying phylis's post from The Seed Exchange. Go...
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
NEW: Beans, peas and legumes swap
I'll be hosting this swap. But, it's YOUR swap for...
tormato
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™