Bedding - newbie question

jennywren62May 10, 2008

I have read many posts about adding bedding. Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but is additional bedding added above the worm food, and what is the purpose of adding more bedding? I have been vermicomposting indoors for about 5 weeks, and I think it is going well so far.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

It depends on how you are running your system. If you have a stacked system (where you have bins or trays on top of one another) bedding is added in layers on top of the food. If you have only one bin or tray (where you bury the food in a different spot each time you "feed") you would have to stop adding bedding at some point in order to allow everything to "finish" composting. This is why most people who have had bins for awhile have more than one. You just take worms from the first bin to "seed" the new bin, and then allow the first one to finish. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 9:39AM
squeeze(z8 BC)

"bedding" is the base of the system, like soil in the garden, the feedstock is the waste you're trying to get rid of, which will vary over time, especially if you get sidetracked for a few days .... adding more bedding keeps up the volume of the bin, is used to cover feed additions to keep them from attracting other decomposers and prevent drying, and it's necessary to set up the environment for both the worms and the bacteria that change your scraps to worm food .... ultimately the bedding is also food - paper, cardboard, sawdust will all decompose and get used, coir and peat aren't as useful in that respect because they don't attract as much bacterial activity

Bill

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 12:10PM
jennywren62

Thanks for the responses. I'm a happy composter!

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™