My worms are crawling.

sbryce_gwMay 20, 2009

My worms are crawling. I think someone posted here recently about cardboard that may have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals. That is the only thing I can think of that could be making my worms want to crawl. I have removed all of the bedding that contains the suspect cardboard. I live in an apartment, and I cannot run my shredder this late at night, so I will have to hope my worms stay put until morning. They can escape below whatever has them annoyed, so maybe if I keep a light on, they will be OK.

I've gone through this before, but last time it was overfeeding with food that had gone anaerobic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

I had a mass crawloff a couple years ago when the bedding got too dry. It was terrible. I had my bin on the back porch and I was sick and didn't notice the bedding getting too dry. So my little guys started fleeing out onto the concrete porch trying to make it to the yard, but it was too far for some of them. I found all their little dried up carcases stuck to the porch several months later when I was well again. There were only a handful of them left in the bin by that time. Don't worry, even if you lose a few of them, they are frisky little folks and will repopulate real fast. Cheryl

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digger51

First keep a light on above them. Give something good to eat right away. some banana mush or even some canned pumpkin. Don't use pumpkin pie mix. Just pumpkin in a can. Keep them busy eating until things settle out.Most pesticides will not cause your worms any harm.I spray the outside of my wooden bins each spring with termite poison and never had a problem with it harming the worms

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
cow manure
I've always heard about horse manure but I've only...
chazz1100
Chuckie's shoe totes
I'm gearing up for spring and milk jug AACT to use...
smdmt
I Still Need Help For My Kitchen
The Garden Tower Project would seem to be of interest...
equinoxequinox
Moldy Coffee Grounds
I have a large plastic container of used coffee grounds...
Shaul
Sponsored Products
Chrome Traditional Rigid Riser,Overhead Shower Head & Handheld Sprayer
Hudson Reed
Kichler Telford Brushed Nickel Finish Pendant Chandelier
$68.00 | Lamps Plus
Oval Collection Acrylic 20" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Collection Sky 4 ft.
Home Depot
My Favorite Auntie Garden Statue - 356
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Three-Light Malaga Monterey Mosaic Pendant
$319.99 | Bellacor
PH Snowball Pendant
Design Within Reach
Tibetan Floret Wool Area Rug - 3' x 5'
$949.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™