Bleeding Hearts Vine Seed

amusedFebruary 16, 2008

An aunt of mine sent me some Bleeding Heart Vine seeds, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows when I should plant these, and how long it takes for them to sprout.

Thanks! =D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

It depends. Are you talking about adlumnia fungosa or a clerodendrun? If it's the adlumnia fungosa it should be winter sowed. The clerodendrum needs warmth and can't take freezing temps.
Karyn

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 11:51AM
amused

I really don't know the name of it. I know that it's red and white. Does that help? =)

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 12:10PM
karyn1(7a)

That sounds like a Clerodendrum thomsoniae. I've always propagated this plant by cuttings but I do grow other clerodendrums from seed. Nick & soak the seeds prior to planting. Keep them warm, bottom heat will help. Germination is fairly slow with the others that I've started from seed, 6-8 weeks. I assume this would have a similar germination rate.
Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleeding Heart vine

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 12:34PM
amused

Thanks alot! And do you think they can be planted right now? I live in Louisiana. Should they be planted in Spring? =)

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 2:17AM
karyn1(7a)

I don't know what your temps are but they need warmth to germinate. Unless it's very warm already I'd start them inside and provide bottom heat.
Karyn

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 10:34PM
amused

Thanks so much!!! I have just one more question. What's bottom heat? I hope I don't sound like a fool asking this. lol =P

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 11:19PM
karyn1(7a)

You don't sound foolish. Bottom heat is used to speed germination or help root cuttings. I use seed mats which are pretty much a heating pad specifically made for plants. I wouldn't use a regular heating pad. That's a fire hazard. The aren't made to withstand moisture or being used 24/7. You can find seed mats at some nurseries or you can find one on ebay. You shouldn't have to pay more then about $22 for a small seed mat.
Karyn

PS: Some people put their pots on top of the fridge.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 8:12AM
lanalove26(Zone 9)

Hey if anybody has any bleeding heart seeds or cutting I can have please let me know,I have been wanting 1 for so long and as of now I am rooting me some cuttings.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™