Trumpet Vines or Virginia Creepers

jjb2003February 13, 2013

I'm planning on attaching a trellis to a fence in my backyard, in addition to a cattle panel fence between the backyard and driveway. It's worth noting that I have a vegetable garden close by both these areas. I'm looking to plant a a type of vine on these new additions that is more or less native to Washington, D.C., provides pretty and full coverage, is hardy and a fast grower. We'd like the vine to serve as a living privacy fence.

Based on this, I've narrowed it down to trumpet vines and Virginia creepers, thought I've read mixed comments about both.

Any strong preferences and words of advice? Really appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Another one to consider is Lonicera sempervirens.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:47AM
msbatt

Both Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans) and Virginia Creeper can be horribly invasive. I would NOT recommend planting either of these, especially near a garden plot.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:55PM
jjb2003

Thanks for your advice! Lonicera sempervirens sounds like it could be a great fit. Would it be good as a living privacy fence, though? And is it a fast grower?

Any opinions on English Ivy?

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 5:54PM
gardengal48

The honeysuckle is an excellent suggestion - makes a very good privacy screen compared to Virginia creeper or trumpet vine, both of which are deciduous and naked half the year.

AFA English ivy is concerned, take the comments about the invasive qualities of the previous two vines and multiply by 10. Not an option that should be considered.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 5:32PM
bulldinkie(pa)

I had the most beautiful gazebo covered trumpet vine,red.The muskrats in pond chewed every root of the plant off.Totally killed my trumpey vine,I could have cried..

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:22AM
greenthumbzdude

@ msbatt a native species can not be invasive only aggressive. Invasives refer to alien species.

I would do coral honeysuckle....well behaved, native, and provides food for hummingbirds.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 3:14PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Took a lot of money and patience to hire people to come and rip out that row of trumpet vines someone planted! I pray they got it all! I'll replace with wine grapes or something useful! Rats live in that mess, you know?

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™