Just starting my worm bin
Hi all! I'm brand new here. I built a worm bin for my apartment a week ago, and just put the worms in yesterday. They disappeared under the surface in under an hour, and are now only visible if I disturb the top layer to look for them. So far, so good! The bin is open to the air right now under a bright light. No escape attempts.
Bin setup: Three nested plastic storage bins, holes drilled in the bottoms of the top two. The bottom bin is supposed to catch leachate, and has 3 inverted 2-lb yogurt tubs in it to raise the second bin off of it. The second bin is currently empty. The lid has a couple dozen 1/8" holes, and raising the bottom bin created about a 1" gap all the way around. I filled the top bin with about 2" - 3" total of shredded paper, coffee grounds with some finely diced kitchen veggie scraps (mostly carrot tops), and some potting soil - about a week ago.
Yesterday I got 500 red wigglers packed in dry peat moss, and added them to the bin like the enclosed instructions said. I spritzed the surface with more water several times yesterday, and once again this morning - that peat moss sucked up a lot of moisture. And the lid is off, so it's evaporating quite a bit.
I'm just introducing myself, but always interested to hear any wisdom from those of you with more experience. I'll be nervous about the first night I put the lid on, in case they attempt escape!