worms in the bottom of the COW

wendrew8May 6, 2010

So I went to check on the worms and saw that my bucket below the open tap had worms in it. I lifted off the top and there were probably 30-40 worms in the bottom!!! Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it? I lined the bottom of the first working tray with the cardboard packaging so unless they are somehow getting around that, I don't even know how they are getting there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

This is one of the things I don't like about stacking tray systems. Worms will explore. You will get some worms crawling down into the bottom. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Some people will put a piece of landscape fabric between the lowest working tray and the bottom to catch strays.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:30AM
11otis

Worms can get underneath the newspaper/cardboard lining and eventually into the leachete tray. I used landscape fabric underneath my bottom working tray, making sure the edges are pulled tight on all 4 sides.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 12:11PM
kathyf-2010

Yeah, I found the cardboard did not prevent the worms from making their way down to the bottom tray. However, my worms seem to have decided to not visit there anymore. I haven't seen them down there for the last couple of weeks.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
When to start feeding in Second Tray of Worm Factory
When should I start feeding in Second Tray of Worm...
charlieboring
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™