Short-ish skinny trellis needs short-ish well behaved vine

kcbarbara(z5KS)March 2, 2008

I have a iron trellis that stands 6 feet tall, 2 feet wide that I've been moving around my yard, trying to find the right combination of place and plant. I'm sure you all can relate! Right now it's in the back of a northwest facing bed and I'm looking for a vine that flowers well but will not go crazy. Last year I had a cardinal climber on it and that thing looked like the Swamp Monster from the Deep. Beautiful abundant foliage and almost no flowers whatsoever.

I thought of clematis, of course, but am not sure this will be the final resting place for the trellis. Thus the thought of an annual. Is there a MG that stays under 6 or 7 feet? The bed is narrow otherwise I would consider a potted mandevilla but I hate to take up the room with a large pot.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvsgrtdanes

Black-eyed Susan vine doesn't get too wild and the flowers are bright enough to stand out...Why not just put the mandevilla in the ground? I would think you could transplant it easy enough...Some of the MGs (ipomoea nil) don't get real tall either...Painted Lady runner bean is nice and attracts humming birds and doesn't get more than 6-8' tall. Actually a lot of the runner beans are nice.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 3:04PM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

Thanks for the ideas, Ronnie. I have been thinking of tucking some veggies in with the flowers and using the Scarlet Runner bean is a perfect 2 birds, 1 stone solution. Mandevillas aren't hardy here and it seems silly to put it in the ground just to take it out three months later.

Barbara

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 4:35PM
angie83(9)

Blackeye susies are nice but dont forget Hyacinth Bean vine they easy to control too.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 3:45PM
angie83(9)

Here it is a year later it did well ove the winter here.
Blackeyed susie 3/08

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 6:58PM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

Good lookin' vine, angie. The Black Eyed Susie is an annual here and has always done well for me but I was thinking of something with a bigger blossom, more obvious from the curbside. My house is set waaaaaay back from the street on a pie-shaped lot. All the yard is in the front and I have very little in the back. Whoever plotted that out was obviously not a gardener, not did s/he have kids who needed a private place to play. But that's a rant for a different place and time :)

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 11:15AM
paddlehikeva

How about Asarina Scandens? Not such a good picture, but you get the idea.

Kathy

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 8:45PM
angie83(9)

Wow those are beautiful never seen them .

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 11:37PM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

I've never seen or heard of that plant before, either. A little googling finds it called Trailing / Climbing / Twining Snapdragon. It's lovely. Now, to try and find some seeds locally and not have to create a new mail order.....

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 9:26PM
filix

Niobe clematis. filix

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 6:41AM
taylor_tx(zone 8 TX)

clitorea ternatea is a nice smaller vine(especially in your zone), and the double blue is most people's favorite.

Centrosema vierginianum is nice, too, and has large flowers, but doesn't bloom but in the fall.

My first thought was thunbergia, just like the others. They come in different colors, if orange isn't your thing.

There are several manettias that are nice and behaved/small, like m. inflata, and m. cordifolia

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 7:51AM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

I also plant the Asarina Scandens/snapdragon vines and you can get them in other colors, white, pink, burgundy. A real plus is that they aren't heavy like morning glory vines but light and wispy. Plus they are beautiful! Thanks for the picture Kathy.
Tina

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Sponsored Products
In to Win Pillow Cover
| Dot & Bo
52" Casa Optima Black Cherry Finish Blades Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
BG Kids Roller Shades: Play Ball
Blindsgalore
Nourison Area Rug: Modesto Vines Ivory 7' 10" x 10' 6"
Home Depot
Slither Dining Side Chair Set of 2 in Blue
$169.00 | LexMod