Second Tray

maryt1061(9 TX)May 21, 2009

Seems like I read somewhere to fill your second tray about half ful of bedding. Would there be any reason to do this in a new setup? I did this and it seems sorta stupid to me to have done so as some worms want to go up and when I lift it I have hanging worms all over the bottom. Maybe I should remove all bedding from the second tray. Yes????? Thanks. Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
folly_grows(10 SF by the Bay)

The reasoning behind adding the second tray with bedding only is to absorb excess moisture and to give the worms some place to go if the conditions in the lower tray become uninviting (too hot, too acidic, etc.) Worms will always wander; and as long as you do the tray system, you will have dangling worms. If you lift your first tray, you will probably find dangling worms and some down in the catch tray.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 12:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanfromhawaii

I thought that is was a good idea to keep some bedding in any bin when you're adding food regularly. That when you're adding food, you should also occ. add bedding. Partly to cover the food and avoid pests, partly to give the worms a place to hang out and deposit their cocoons. I understand you don't add more bedding if you're finishing' the product, but otherwise, yes. Am I wrong?

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™