What kind of vine for this wall/trellis

sudimari(z5 IN)March 22, 2009

I will be container planting some vines to grow up a "garden junk" trellis. My first thought was Morning Glory, but now I'm wondering if it actually receives the sun needed?

Patio at 9:00 am:

Patio at 10:30

The door faces due east. The wall is on the south side of patio, FACING north.

I have a chain link fence gate to start my trellis...will be propped behind the planter pictured. All three pots shown with dead plants will contain vines. Possibly more vines if I use large buckets to weigh or stand the trellis on the concrete. The planter is one piece.

I'm looking to attract birds/butterflies (the number of birdfeeders will grow as the season warms up here!LOL)

I have a mixture of climbing seeds...mixed color morning glory (25%), cardinal climber (5%), Thunbergia Black-Eyed susan (26%), Tall Single Mix Nasturtium (25%), Royal Family Mix Sweet Pea (30%)

They are mixed (I bought the small pkg...the large one was ind pkged inside). So a good place to look at pics of seed to ID them would be helpful.

Will any of these do well at this location? Any specific info I might need for any of them?

Any other suggestions that might work better or really well?

Thanks,

Suz

PS...If you click on thumbnail I believe it will open a larger version of pic...sun exposure might be more visible that way. Still trying to figure out best way to post pics!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren(z6PA)

The Sweet Pea-Morning Glory combination would probably be a good one, as sweet peas tend to do a fade in warmer weather, whereas morning glories tend to like it a bit more. Both will appreciate humusy, slightly damp soil, and both tend to be fairly tolerant of some shade. The sweet pea seeds will look like little round peas, and morning glory seeds are a round hard little seed, a bit less than 1/8 inch in diameter, usually smooth and dark brown or black. I recommend presoaking for both prior to planting.

Nasturtiums have similar likes as well. I suspect the other two will want more sun; possibly if you place them where they will get reflected light it would help.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™